What Took So Long?
for the entire NT to be
confirmed and gathered?
1. The originals were scattered across the whole
empire: Apostles were sharing the Gospel, and
2. No scroll could easily contain more than one or two books. Luke: 30 feet; NT: 200 feet (bulky, expensive)
3. The 1st century Christians expected the immediate return of Christ = no need for a compilation.
4. No one church or leader dominated the others.
5. The early leaders assumed the authority of the Gospels and apostles. (Matthew, John, James, Peter, Paul wrote 85% of NT. Exceptions = Mark, Luke, Jude, and Hebrews)
6. Only when the heretics attacked the truth was the need for the development of a Canon (mid 2nd century).
Image Source: Ancient Map: Pinterest; Text Source: Adapted from Brian Edwards