1 It was now the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius, the Roman emperor. Pontius Pilate was governor over Judea;
Herod Antipas was ruler over Galilee; his brother Philip was ruler over Iturea and Traconitis; Lysanias was ruler over Abilene.
2 Annas and Caiaphas were the high priests.
At this time a message from God came to John son of Zechariah, who was living in the wilderness.
Does This Sound Like Luke is Making Up A Story?
An exact date is given: A.D. 29.All 8 people are known from history (and can be verified).All were known to live at this exact time.This is not a myth or fairy tale.
• The New Testament story is confirmed by 10 ancient,non-Christian sources, including:
➢ Historians: Josephus, Tacitus, Suetonius, Thallus, Phlegon
➢ Government Officials: Pliny the Younger,
Emperor Trajan, Emperor Hadrian
➢ Other Sources: Including The Jewish Talmud and Greek writer Lucian.
• Compiling their references, we get a story congruent with the New Testament…
No one dies for a known lie.
The Apostles themselves were eyewitnesses to Jesus’ resurrected life.
• They knew first-hand whether or not Jesus’resurrection was true.
• The evidence from their life:
- They had proven moral integrity.
- They condemned lying & stressed honesty.
- They were key figures in their communities.
- They were convinced of the resurrection.
- They became bold overnight.
- They faced beatings, torture, prison & death.
James (Son of Alphaeus): Crucified
Paul: Beheaded (Likely)
James (Brother of Jesus):Stoned (Bludgeoned)
Thomas (Doubting): Spear Thrust
James (Son of Zebedee): Sword