Is Jesus, God?
➢ Jesus died: John 19:28-34
➢ Empty tomb: John 20
➢ Reaction of Jewish officials: Mt 28:2-4 & 28:11-15
➢ Jesus appears after His resurrection: 1 Cor 15:3-8
➢ Explosion of Christian church: Acts 2:32 (3,000 added)
➢ Conversion of Paul the persecutor (Acts 9)…and James.
➢ Disciples willing to die brutal deaths: Acts 12:2
Did Jesus Rise From the Dead?
3 I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me.
Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. 4 He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. 5 He was seen by Peter and then by the Twelve.
6 After that, he was seen by more than 500 of his followers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died. 7 Then he was seen by James and later by all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as though I had been born at the wrong time, I also saw him.
1 Corinthians 15:3-8
What makes this passage so significant?
Jesus Resurrection… Overwhelming Evidence.
The evidence for the resurrection of Jesus is so solid that if it were taken to a court of law today, the judge and jury would be forced to admit it’s true…based on the indisputable facts:
• The tomb was (and still is) empty.
• Early resurrection testimony: 540+ eyewitnesses to Jesus.
• Enemy testimony: Roman guards, James & Saul.
• Multiple, independent, eyewitness sources (8-9).
• Extra-biblical references (10 ancient sources*).
• Early church explosion (no other explanation).
• Transformed lives of disciples + conversion of Paul & James.
• 456 prophecies fulfilled perfectly: Jesus’ birth, death & resurrection.
• Disciples died brutally because they knew Jesus’ resurrection was true.
* Note: The Roman Empire was one of the most powerful of all time, yet the emperor during the time that Jesus lived is mentioned in only 8 sources. Jesus? 10. His existence and accomplishments are historical facts that can’t be denied.