What About The New Testament?
1 Cor 14:37 (NLT)
If you claim to be a prophet or think you are spiritual, you should recognise that what I am saying is a command from the Lord Himself.
John 14:25-26 (NLT)
“I am telling you these things now while I am still with you. But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative – that is, the Holy Spirit – He will teach you everything – and will remind you of everything I have told you.”
Why? Persecution scattered the NT church
New Testament Autographs
Luke 1:1-4 (NLT)
1 Many people have set out to write accounts about the
events that have been fulfilled among us. 2 They used the
eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early
disciples. 3 Having carefully investigated everything from
the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful
account for you…, 4 so you can be certain of the truth.
2 Peter 1:20-21 (NLT)
20 …no prophecy of Scripture came about by the
prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy
never had its origin in the human will, but prophets,
though human, spoke from God as they were carried
along by the Holy Spirit.
New Testament Canon Formation
Jesus chose 12 apostles & taught them for 3 years.
• 11 of them went on to spread his message.
• 9 different writers constructed the 27 NT books.
• New Testament was written originally in Greek.
• First scrolls, then collections, lastly 1 volume
• Most of NT writings were letters to local churches.
• Others were written to specific individuals.
• Yet others were written for broader audiences.
➢ 1 Peter (Asia)
➢ Romans (Europe)
➢ Revelation (Asia)
Geo diversity made it tough for early churches to
immediately obtain all copies of early church letters.
• Limitations: communication, travel & persecution.
• Paul’s letters were almost immediately regarded as
authoritative. (2 Peter 3:15-16)
• NT books were more difficult to confirm than OT.
• Some books were questioned & accepted (James,
Hebrews & 2 Peter); others were rejected (Shepherd
of Hermas & Gospel of Peter).
•We can be certain the current list is 100% right.
You must be logged in to post a comment.