Alignment With The Bible
Opinions, advice and thoughts (both from us, and other people) should ALWAYS align with what God clearly states in Scripture.
First, Some Basic Definitions.
Words Associated With The Bible:
. Testament: Covenant
• Canon: Measuring Stick, Rule, Standard
• Manuscripts: Copies of the original writings
• Scroll: Roll of papyrus, parchment, or paper
• Scribes: Specially trained people for copying
manuscripts (w/ rules)
• Translation: Copy of God’s Word in another
• Theocracy: Nation governed by God (Israel)
• Gentiles: Any non-Jewish nation/people
• Samaritans: Mixed race: Jews & Gentiles
Words Associated With The Bible
Revelation: How God Communicates Truth
Truth: Reality; Absolute; Stands Alone
Inspired: Recording of Truth; God-breathed; God “carried along
the human writers” (2 Pet 1:21)
Infallible: 100% Trustworthy (God)
Inerrant: 100% Accurate (Facts)
Autographs: Original Copies: 3-“I’s” (above)
Authoritative: Powerful In All Spoken Matters
Dual Authorship: God-Authored; Human-Written
Propitiation: Satisfaction of a requirement
Sanhedrin: Jewish Supreme Court
Pharisees: Powerful Jewish religious/political group
Sadducees: Bitter enemies of Pharisees & Christ
Disciple: Any follower of Christ
Apostle: Messenger chosen directly by Jesus (12)
Audience Being Preached To:
*Matthew: Jewish People
*Luke: Greeks / Gentiles
John: Whole World
Key To Understanding The Bible
What Do We Mean By God’s Chosen People (Israelites)?
- The nation (group of people) through whom God chose to reveal himself.
- The nation that God chose to bless through obedience.
- The nation that would represent God on earth.
- The nation that would be Holy (set apart for God).
- The nation (lineage) through which God would bring the Messiah (Jesus).
Purpose Of The Bible
15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for [a]instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:15-17 NKJV
Purpose Of The Bible – One Word